Here are some recommendations specific to each WordPress eCommerce Plugin, and we have a post category for WordPress eCommerce themes.
When you look at a theme demo, pay attention to how shop and product pages are styled. Do they blend in with the rest of the theme, or do they just use default styles? Add some products to the cart, change the cart, go to checkout – do all notices get styled? Is everything aligned? You’d be amazed at how many themes overlook these details when you start to notice them.
Theming WooCommerce can be a pain, and many themes say they fully support WooCommerce when they don’t actually touch template styling. This causes the “shop” pages to look out of place with your theme (since they use default styling) and is something to pay attention to.
I’ve also got a series of articles on WooCommerce themes. This series includes both free and paid themes that I’ve actually tested and code reviewed. A great starting point is the free Storefront theme from WooCommerce.
Otherwise, my personal go-to theme is Astra. It’s the most performant WooCommerce theme I’ve seen, and it offers just the right amount of customization options, while the Pro upgrade has a lot of useful integrations and design features.
Easy Digital Downloads
EDD is far easier to theme than WooCommerce, but there are a few really awesome themes out there that make the most of the plugin.
- $63 – We wrote an entire tutorial on creating a digital goods marketplace that features the Marketify theme.
- $63 – The Squarecode theme is really beautiful and makes another good choice for creating a marketplace that supports Frontend Submissions.
- $48-58 – ThemeForest has some other great themes, such as Humbleshop, which is simple but tasteful. Stocky is a great theme for selling photography.
- The EDD theme store has some really cool options for under $50, such as Lattice, Shoppette, or Quota.
- $69 – The Volatyl Theme Framework is a great choice as well (meant for those of you that are familiar with CSS), and has a seamless integration for EDD. Get a Touch child skeleton for free by using the
TOUCHEDDcode at checkout.
- $0 – Shop Front is a lightweight theme that provides a great starting point for customizing your EDD store.