Welcome back to a full week of work! This week was full of plugin updates and add-on releases, so we’ve cultivated this week’s eCommerce news and announcements just for you:
- Easy Digital Downloads 1.9 was released this week with some big changes to the core plugin. We wrote a detailed review you should check out in case you missed it! The Checkout Fields Manager extension was also released, which allows you to add new, custom fields to the Easy Digital Downloads checkout screen.
- CPO Themes also wrote a review of using EDD to create a digital goods store this week.
- We’ve written a lot about membership sites lately, including using WooCommerce for memberships. If you’re looking into or already using WooCommerce for membership sites, Chris Lema posted an article on retaining members in WooCommerce using discounts.
- On a related WooCommerce note, WooNinja Daniel Espinosa announced the pretty awesome idea that he’s holding WooCommerce Office Hours to answer WooCommerce questions and offer guidance for anyone that wants to stop by.
- The Theme Foundry posted an excellent overview of where to find the best WordPress themes with some details about each marketplace and directory they recommend.
- Shopp posted Part 2 of their series on How the Theme API Really Works.
- iThemes released a new bbPress add-on for Exchange that allows you to restrict bbPress forums, topics and replies to require certain membership levels sold from your Exchange-powered membership site.
- iThemes also released a really cool feature for Exchange: you can now use shortcodes to hide membership content on the same page or post as non-membership content. This will be super useful for people who want to have “teasers” or excerpts for restricted content, as they can simply use the shortcode to restrict the rest of the content.
- Jigoshop was updated to version 1.8.1, and includes translations, as well as improvements to shipping, reporting, and coupon handling.
- As we reported last week, Practical eCommerce is hosting a webinar on How (and When) to Change eCommerce Platforms on January 21 that is currently taking sign-ups.
- Does your product require documentation for users (or maybe just installation instructions / warranty information)? WP Mayor posted a collection of great documentation themes for WordPress you may want to read.
- Paid Memberships Pro was also updated this week with bug fixes, reporting updates, and more Stripe support (weekly recurrring payments).
Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy your weekend!